Picture

"History has proven time and time again that politicians do a horrible job of keeping themselves accountable when no one is looking. It’s time for us to not only fight for democracy overseas, but become active participators in our democracy here at home."

Picture
By Segun Idowu
Segun is May 2012 graduate of Morehouse College, and Master of Divinity Candidate at Boston University School of Theology.

It’s that time of year again. The American people are constantly reminded through advertisements and speeches that they are about to make the most important decision in the most crucial election of their lives. Again. Every election since anyone who wasn’t a land-owning White man could vote has been one that would determine the future of America. This election is no different.

Save a select group of confused people who, obviously, have been living under a mountain for the last few years (they call themselves “Independents”), most Americans have chosen the candidate who best represents them. Or, at least the one who is the complete opposite of the one they don’t want. Everyone is geared up and ready to put (or keep) their candidate in office.

But, I’m worried that we’re preparing for the wrong day. It’s not November 6, 2012 we should be preparing for; it’s November 7th, and every day after.

Emotions are running rampant as we approach Election Day, much like they did four years ago. However, we saw much of that excitement dissipate quickly as the days grew more and more distant from that first Tuesday in November. People began to feel that change was not reaching them fast enough. They began to lose hope. They were bombarded with news graphic after flashy news graphic that Washington D.C. and Wall Street were playing with their treasure, their time, and their tolerance levels.

They had voted for this human being to carry out superhuman feats and fix 300 million lives all by himself. Why wasn’t he doing it fast enough?

In a 2004 discussion at MIT, noted philosopher, lecturer and activist Noam Chomsky said, “If we want to stop being a failed state and become a democratic society, things are going to have to happen between the four year period [of elections].” I am not cynical enough to believe, like Chomsky, that my vote doesn’t count or that the election process in the American interpretation of democracy is a farce. I do believe, with Chomsky, that political engagement is not a Sabbath experience. Like bathing, it is something that citizens must do every day.

Citizenship requires more than a vote. It means making your vote matter to that politician by writing or calling them when they stray from accurately representing you. It means donating your time or your money to that political campaign to make sure your voice and your vote mean something to that person who is running. If we know that politicians respond to donors and lobbyists, we must become the majority of those donors and lobbyists and make the system work for us rather than against us, as we have allowed it to do for so long.

History has proven time and time again that politicians do a horrible job of keeping themselves accountable when no one is looking. It’s time for us to not only fight for democracy overseas, but become active participators in our democracy here at home. We must not place our faith in a mere mortal to solve our complex problems. For, what will we do when we cannot vote for that person any longer?

No, it is up to us to make sure our nation is not wrestled away from democracy’s grasp. If we fail to look to November 7th, then Shakespeare was right to put in Cassius’ mouth, “The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.”

Comments

Jeff
09/26/2012 8:20am

Segun, there seems to be a disconnect between your (commendable) call for us to hold politicians accountable, and your apparent willingness to exempt President Obama from such accountability on the grounds that the promises he failed to deliver on would have required superhuman feats to achieve. Who, in your view, is more to blame -- President Obama, for having made campaign promises that he should have known could not have been kept without superhuman feats, or those who voted for President Obama, for naively believing that he actually could have delivered on those promises?

It seems to me that Nov. 6 is a perfectly appropriate day to think about accountability. It is, in fact, the only day that actually matters where accountability is concerned. Voicing your opinion is great, but politicians can ignore your opinion; they cannot ignore your vote. The only message of accountability that politicians universally respond to is the one where we vote them out of office when they underperform.

I assume you weren't a fan of Clint Eastwood's RNC speech, but one point he made is rock solid:

"Politicians are employees of ours.... And when somebody does not do the job, we got to let them go."

10/29/2013 8:48am

Tyler Bramlett Reveals The 'Not Seen Anywhere Else' Progressive Movement Technology That Permanently Reshapes Your Body

Into Its Ideal Form In Less Than 1 Hour Per Week Without Cardio

11/10/2013 9:53am

More super cool Michael Fiore Text Your Ex Back texting tips

and techniques can be found here

01/05/2013 6:37pm

Excellent posts to read keep it up and keep going on this way. And keep sharing these types of things Thanks and I read your article and I keep reading your content.. It’s very interesting..

07/09/2013 2:00pm

I couldn't agree more... the post definitely was very interesting... good share

01/30/2013 4:34am

Now the democratic countries are also hunted by politics. Voting has become just a formality for election but voting is the right of every citizen who are allowed to choose their leader.

prefer to use the https version of my URL whenever possible. However, I know from my own experience there are some types of blogs that don't link properly when you use an https address. If you submit to any

02/16/2013 12:29am

History is the proof of past life. It tells us the different aspects of each one's life and give the inspiration for doing some innovative work.

04/01/2013 9:05am

As for the elections government has decided certain rules then each citizen have to follow those and take an action according to that.

04/08/2013 5:48am

I think not only history but the current scenario also proves that politicians do a horrible job of keeping themselves accountable when no one is looking.

04/10/2013 1:39am

Election Day is a very big day for the candidates as well as for the citizens because they are going to select their leader who is going to do some good things for their future.

05/30/2013 3:50pm

That you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

09/25/2013 12:02am

great i remeber that tragedy so sad...

06/15/2013 12:29pm

As a consequence of the writer, a superb internet page, and it also offers up to date or maybe fascinating tank top. My organization is many years looking for ways to tshirt these really good as a result way unusual, attractive pleased in the care and attention.

06/28/2013 6:58pm

It's been a great reading, you got pretty valuable info on the subject. All countries have a similar history on democracy.

08/29/2013 7:03am

Thankyou for such a great blog and really appreciated work

06/30/2013 10:21am

A good informative post that you have shared and thankful your work for sharing the information. Got some appealing information and would like to provide it a try. Applaud your work and keep sharing your information.

Inventure India is a management consulting firm has an unparalleled depth of knowledge and resources combined with functional and industry expertise for geographical reach. We help leaders make distinctive, lasting and substantial enhancement to the performance of their organizations.

08/07/2013 7:58am

Dada Ganpati Guar Products Pvt. Ltd. first commitment is to provide highest quality products and services to its global customer base at competitive prices

08/07/2013 7:59am

08/15/2013 1:09am

Resources like the one you mentioned here will be very useful for me! I’ll post a link to this page on my blog. I’m sure my visitors will find useful.

08/21/2013 9:49am

This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for.

08/21/2013 10:08am

I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really helpful information. Keep it up.

08/21/2013 11:16am

Who ultimate enacts them. Or, at minimum the single who is the complement antithesis of the unique they don’t crave. Everyone is geared up plus convenient to put (or retain) their applicant in agency.

Yet again. Just about every selection since everyone that wasn’t a land-owning White-colored person might vote has been the one which would likely establish the future involving The us.

08/23/2013 8:12am

Most Americans receive elect the aspirant who superior signifys them. Or, at minimal the alone who is the utter counter of the unique they don’t demand. Everyone is geared up moreover fit to put (or hold) their aspirant in agency.

08/28/2013 11:47pm

Thanks for such an excellent post. It is such a pleasure to look forward to your blog.

08/31/2013 1:23pm

I appreciate you taking the time to publish this post. It is quite valuable to me certainly.

09/08/2013 12:57pm

How can we forget, it's a tradition that will never wear thin, in my opinion.

09/25/2013 8:03am

I assume this web website includes some rattling amazing info for everyone . This is an age in which a single cannot locate common sense with out a research warrant. by George Will.

09/27/2013 6:41am

Emotions are running out of control as we approach Election Day, a great deal like they did four existence before However, we saw much of that excitement dissipate quickly as the days grew more and additional far-away from so as to first Tuesday in November. Populace start on to feel that alter was not reaching them speedy enough.

10/15/2013 12:29pm

Informazioni molto buona e utile. Perché non scrivere un libro su questo topic.For fluttuazione economica attuale e la mancanza di opportunità, sarà davvero un argomento molto caldo. Grazie comunque. Tutti i migliori.

I assume this web website includes some rattling amazing info for everyone .

10/01/2013 7:28am

our acquired an incredibly practical web site For a great and here researching about some time nowadays. My organization is usually any kind of amateur although your current success is very lots any creativeness for me. Continue the wonderful.

10/15/2013 12:28pm

There are three primary ways to create an array in ruby the array literal, building the array and returning an array. An array is most simply defined as a variable that holds a set of values. Thanks.

10/01/2013 11:40pm

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.

10/15/2013 12:24pm

Hi colleagues, its impressive article about teachingand fully defined, keep it up all the time.

10/02/2013 12:06am

A very good advantageous content you might have contributed as well as fortunate your work relating to revealing the ability. Obtained some desirable details as well as would like to create the idea attempting. Applaud your work as well as sustain revealing the details you might have.

10/15/2013 12:26pm

While reading your posted material, i honestly find much focused and helpful material. Its really nice to share my opinion for your stated subject.

10/02/2013 7:32am

Campaigners declare, and also the surge in unprotected intercourse in a number of counties possesses sparked issue in relation to the quality of intercourse education available to kids.

10/10/2013 1:04am

That was a great remembrance.....of the day....

10/14/2013 5:51am

I am so greateful for your article.Much thanks again. Fantastic.

10/15/2013 12:22pm

I really appreciate the efforts of Bruins for supporting the ULCA food drive inorder to make it a great success. Great work done indeed.

11/01/2013 3:36pm

Good day. Thanks to the author, and I wish you continued success. I will read you. Read your article and I loved it. I'm surprised that the author is so knowledgeable in this subject. After all, this topic is seldom raised.

11/09/2013 4:55am

Its a cool article to read by any common man. I found myself in the place of the traveller. Here lies the real worth and beauty of the article.

11/10/2013 4:59pm

Thank you to you and I'm really happy

11/10/2013 5:00pm

Thank you so much for this thank you for the info

12/04/2013 2:59am

is the best article <b><a title="Agen Sbobet" href="http://www.starbola88.com/">Agen Sbobet</a></b>

12/21/2013 8:49pm

I will read you. Read your article and I loved it.

01/14/2014 5:08am

This is a fantastic website and I can not recommend you guys enough. Full of useful resource and great layout very easy on the eyes. Please do keep up this great work.